What's your mind dwelling on?

The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.

Lamentations 3:19‭-‬23 NLT
This is perhaps the most famous quote in Lamentations 3. We're reminded of God's faithfulness and His love that are new every morning! But there are so many other lessons to be drawn from this beautiful chapter in Scripture, and I've decided to share these lessons in three parts.
Today, I'd like for us to focus on verse 21: Yet I still dare hope when I remember this. These words were written during one of the darkest times in the prophet Jeremiah's life. It was a time of unspeakable suffering, where both him and his people had lost everything; their city, families, possessions and most importantly, their freedom. He felt as though God had led him into darkness, shutting out all light and turned His hand against him (Lam 3:2). He felt walled in to the extent that he couldn't escape (Lam 3:7) and utterly abandoned by God. Where is God in the darkness? Where is God in my darkness?
Beloved, you might be feeling walled in because of the lockdown caused by the pandemic. Or you might be feeling fearful and lonely because you don't know what's going to happen next. Are we ever going to get back to normal? You may wonder.
My brothers and sisters, we must realise that in the middle of our darkness, we can still dare to hope. We can call to mind what the Lord has done for us and dwell on what is true, pure, right, lovely and praiseworthy (Phil 4:8). We can choose to remember how God has been faithful to us and think upon it! He is always merciful. The love and mercy He gives never fails. What's on your mind, beloved?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The hard heart matter

The Two Ways